Georgetown Visitation Monastery

Welcome!

The Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary was founded in 1610 by Saint Francis de Sales and Saint Jane de Chantal in Annecy, France. Our Monastery of Georgetown was established in 1799 by Archbishop Leonard Neale.

In response to a deep need for Catholic schools for girls in the United States, Neale entrusted the twin apostolates of prayer and the education of young women to this monastery.

St. Francis de Sales' attention to the "little virtues" of gentleness, humility, kindness and cheerful optimism have left a lasting mark on our monastery and school. Please visit the links on our site to learn more about our life and our history.

Georgetown Visitation Monastery
1500 35th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007

202.337.0305

Sr. Mary Roberta at prayer